IT Operations Manager
Masabi develops software that allows customers to buy and display travel tickets (for trains, buses, trams etc) on their smartphones. We have our solutions running in the UK, Boston, Athens, and other large cities around the world. We will even be in New York in the next few months! The platform consists of consumer facing hybrid mobile apps on Android and iOS, native mobile apps, gate and bus units for ticket inspection, a back office web interface for clients to monitor activity and a large suite of back end APIs powering them all.
The IT Operations Team
In IT Operations we follow an “Infrastructure as code” philosophy to deploy and manage the many servers that allow commuters all around the world to buy their tickets on their mobile phones. We recognise that this is a really big responsibility and we are proud and excited to be able to make such a big impact on people’s daily lives.
We love our Devs! They are an awesome bunch that feel the same way about our product as we do, so we try our best to give them all the support and tools they need to deliver this world changing product. We don’t like getting in the way, so in general we try to enable others to do things themselves, by automating as much as possible and giving them the buttons to push. This isn’t easy because the environment needs to be PCI compliant, but we see that as a cool challenge, and so far we are doing great!
We also love AWS. AWS services like EC2 and RDS allow us to do so much with so little, so we use it as much as possible and try avoid deploying anything to our in-house VMware cluster. We also like Docker – we don’t love it yet, but who knows :)
We have a lot of fun in Ops, mostly laughing at each other about stupid things, but when the business needs us, we are there for them. We believe that it is our personal responsibility to ensure that our commuter friends in New York, LA, Boston and Athens are able to ride the train/bus with our app, so we do everything that it takes to ensure that happens.
As we are a fairly open bunch and would like to ensure that we explore all possibilities to fill this critical role. We are therefore interested in talking to a range of candidates, from those who have had extensive experience in IT Ops management to those who are new to management and are looking to go deeper into that career track. In both cases however, we would require candidates to be exceptionally detail oriented and regimentally organised in order to successfully take on responsibility for PCI compliance.
– Ensure the integrity and availability of all environments according to agreed SLAs.
– Take full responsibility for PCI compliant state of the infrastructure.
– Encourage, support and grow Masabi’s DevOps strategy.
– Mentor other engineers and take responsibility for career progression, development and engagement.
– Provide architectural guidance for the infrastructure where required.
– A general understanding of IaaS providers like AWS is required.
– A strong desire to move to cloud based services, along with past experience of doing so is absolutely required.
– Ensure all basic functions of an IT Ops team are met. You already know what they are.
Incident and Problem Management
– Ensure sufficient server, application and service monitoring is in place to underpin agreed customer SLAs and business objectives.
– Monitor, support and improve out of hours technical support activities.
– Ensure that all incidents and calls (in and out of hours) are responded to appropriately.
– Assist Account Managers reporting on incidents to external clients by writing.
– Incident Reports and working on remediation.
– Record and report on all incidents in order to support continual improvement of products and processes.
Project and Pipeline Management
– Manage the flow of work into and out of the IT Ops department.
– Liaise with department heads and Product Managers to agree priorities, process and deadline for the IT Operations department.
– Communicate changes and updates to the relevant stakeholders.
– Take responsibility for all Operational aspects of PCI DSS compliance including test audits and audits.
– Ensure integrity of evidentiary data for PCI compliance.
– Take responsibility for other compliance efforts where appropriate (Eg Data Protection Act)
Budgeting and Cost Control
– In order to help create IT budgets, uncover and report on current IT spend.
– Where possible, predict and report on estimated future spend.
– Control spending and ensure the least amount of waste is created.
– Assume line management responsibilities of all members of the IT Operations team.
– Ensure IT Support is sufficiently supported on the Service Desk.
– Ensure all internal change management processes are followed.
A highly competitive salary alongside the benefits list on our Benefits Page.
How to Apply
APPLICATIONS FROM RECRUITERS WILL BE REJECTED
Please send a copy of your CV and a brief cover note (see below) with the subject: “I am applying for: IT Operations Manager” to email@example.com.
Please provide a brief cover note (traditional cover letter not necessary) including:
Links to any LinkedIn, Twitter, GitHub, StackOverflow accounts.
List any industry related people/blogs you like to follow.
List any industry related books/literature you’ve read which has particularly inspired you.
List any conferences or community events you like to attend.
Candidates must be eligible to work and live in the UK.
Masabi is an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, or disability status.